Friday, July 18, 2008

7.18.08

Proverbs 12:18
"Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing."

I found this verse today because it is a fitting reminder of what could have been for me. When I was in grade school, I use to make fun of a girl because she had some mental and physical disabilities. No excuse for it....I was just young and dumb and didn't realize that the tongue was so powerful. I never got the chance to apologize to her because I recently found out that she passed away at the age of 28. I feel horrible about what I did because I probably made things hard for her in school and had no idea what it was like to be in her shoes for a day.

Looking back on that time in my life, I realize that as the verse above says "the words of the wise bring healing." What if I would have given her a compliment or a how ya doing every once in a while to let her know that I cared about her? Could it have made her life easier? I don't know but I would rather live with that question than the guilt of knowing that I messed up and can never give her a hug and say I am sorry.

If you have the chance today, build someone up instead of tearing them down. You never know what a word of encouragement just might do for them and yourself.

1 comment:

Christine said...

That is good stuff John. Something we all need to remember!!