Friday, September 12, 2008

9.12.08


1 Corinthians 16:13
"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong."

Today I was encouraged by the actions of a bird. Sounds strange right? Anyone care to take a guess on what kind of bird this is in the picture? Well, it is a Turkey Buzzard. I saw a Turkey Buzzard this afternoon eating a dead possum in the exact middle of the road on Central Pike in Mt. Juliet. I take Central Pike all the time and see dead animals and buzzards from time to time but they never intrigued me until today. I guess it did today because I was open to letting God speak to me through what I saw. Anyways, as I thought about that buzzard more and more it hit me.....it takes a lot of courage for that bird to weave in and out of the road when the cars were passing by. It faced almost near death every time it went to take a bit out of the possum. That is why I appreciate that buzzard because it was determined to eat some of that possum no matter what the cost.

See I think God calls us to be just like the Turkey Buzzard. To be strong and courageous during times of trouble and even in the face of death to accomplish the mission. Sure, its not easy to do that but just meditate on what God is telling us through Paul in this verse to the Corinthian church thousands of years ago. Make a decision today to stand firm in your faith and God will give you the strong and courageous part when you need it.

No comments: