Saturday, March 21, 2009

3.21.09


2 Corinthians 5:14-15
"For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again."

I know, I know it has been a long time since I last updated my blog. To be honest with you, I haven't had a real desire to blog about anything lately. Although, God has been showing and teaching me some things since my last blog, they just didn't compel me enough to blog about them until today. I was on my riding mower cutting the yard this afternoon and God just kinda nudged me and told me to start blogging again because I believe he wants to use me to reach others through my daily experiences and circumstances. I think that is the whole reason I started this blog in the first place.

Anyways, what I want to blog about today is my life verse. Do you have a life verse? I am not sure if most people have one or not. I think it is pretty cool to have one though. I actually heard Rick Warren talk about his last year at a conference and that inspired me to find a better one that fits me. I use to have Psalm 23:4 as a teenager but kinda drifted away from that. I like it as a verse of encouragement but not as a life verse. To me, a life verse should be almost like your personal mission statement and that is why after reading 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 a couple of weeks ago I found mine.

Paul (the guy that wrote the book of 2 Corinthians) really made me stop and think about the statements "Christ's love compels us" and "that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." Paul nails it here. He made it so easy to understand what we are suppose to be about. We no longer live for ourselves but for Christ who died for us.

Now the question becomes...how does this translate in real everyday life? It could mean treating people better than you treat yourself or think of it in terms of how Christ would handle a person or a situation. About a month ago I was at Sam's Club getting supplies for church and as I was leaving I was approached by a total stranger about jumping off her car. I hesitated for a second but said ok Maybe I am just a nice guy or maybe I felt compelled by the Spirit. Either way, I helped the lady and actually gave her my jumper cables and didn't ask for them back. I know I didn't have to help this lady but I knew what Christ would do and how I would feel pulling out of the parking lot and doing nothing to help her.

Ask yourself the question today...does Christ's love compel me enough to no longer live for myself but for Christ who died for me? If you answer yes...start living it today. Don't wait a single minute. Life is too short and you will never accomplish the mission and goals God has in store for your life if you don't.

No comments: